Thursday, September 1, 2011

"At Last" -- Etta James


[This one’s for you, Laurell K. Hamilton]

Yesterday my husband came home to a sink full of dirty dishes and a basket of clean, but not-yet-folded laundry. It doesn’t sound like much, but on top of the disaster area that is our home, it was just too much. It was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I had been whining about being sick for two days and used that as my excuse for lying on the couch and reading all day.

“I’m trying to finish this book,” I told him when he asked.

“You mean you’re trying to finish reading that book instead of finishing writing your own?” he retorted, stuffing another dish in the already over-flowing dishwasher.

What could I say? I didn’t say anything. Sometimes you just have to know when not to say anything. I closed Skin Trade and set it aside. Those last ten or so pages would just have to wait. 

As soon as he was gone, tucked away into bed sound asleep, I tore through those last few pages and debated taking Bullet from its place on top of the ginormous television, out of the reach of sticky toddler fingers. But I didn’t. I sulked and edited my own book, printing endless sheets of paper to take to campus today. And as soon as my errands were finished this afternoon, I took down Bullet and began to read, promising myself just a few pages… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Reactions?