Friday, January 28, 2011

"21st Century" -- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Music is the best form of collaboration.




"...Turn the screw and
Twist my language
Don't forsake me
I'm contaigious...
...It's my favorite combination
Comin down with the favored nations
Deportation
Mutilation
Learn to give and take dictation...
...Read me your scripture and
Read me your scripture
And I will twist it
Show me your wrist and I
Show me your wrist and
Show me your wrist and I'll kiss it kiss it...
...Super soldier
Hand it over
Stop and read what you just wrote huh
Strangulation
Altercation
All the sex and bird migration..."

Someone on the radio said once, referring to "the Zephyr Song," that though it made no sense, it was a great song that they loved. I disagree. While definitely great music, it makes perfect sense to me. There is something in the way the words and music work together to formulate these discernable messages about sociocultural reflections and unique experiences that makes for a very enjoyable experience. The messages themselves are complex currents of words twisting through the music, words which are both influenced and highlighted by the flow of the music.

If you take away the music, like I have, by transcribing different verses without the chorus, it is a poem. I could break it down for you, but that would make it too easy. Listen to one of your favorite songs. Listen to it little by little, making full use of your media player's many buttons, and write it out. What about it makes it a good song to you? Could the words stand on their own? Do they need music to successfully communicate the message?

All I know for sure is that music makes me feel better. Some music can soothe a foul mood, enhance a good mood, or spark a melancholy mood. It makes me wonder how much music influences other people's lives...


[Short and sweet--which is all I have time to post for now.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Reactions?