Sunday, March 11, 2012

Gimme Shelter -- The Rolling Stones

When I listened to this song the other day it made me think, "More washboard!" Of course, that may be because Jamie and I had been watching SNL Best of Will Ferrell. One of my all-time favorite skits on SNL was the one with Will Ferrell and Christopher Walkin, "More Cowbell." Too funny! If you haven't seen this, Google it, and soon enough you'll know, too.

If you are a life-long SNL viewer you already know why I thought, "More Washboard!" And now I can't think about it while listening to "Gimme Shelter" without chuckling to myself at the thought of Mick Jagger playing the washboard very enthusiastically.

The Rolling Stones have, as you know, been around for a while. I remember watching a concert of them on television in my parent's bedroom. Sitting at the foot of the bed we watched Jagger run around the stage as if he were twenty years old and wheeze out the song lyrics as if he were fifty. Of course, this was back in the day when we only had bunny ears and three channels, one of which was PBS, the other a local channel, and the last, a local channel with good programming for which we never got sufficient reception.

No matter what the situation, like Say It Ain't So by Weezer, I will never be able to listen to this song the same way again.

Nor will I be able to listen to Paint It Black the same way after watching Stir of Echoes, but I suppose that's a story for another blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Reactions?